Contact to Save Up To 60% on App Development Costs Contact Us
Android Vs iOS: Which Platform To Build Your App For First?
- Thursday, October 15, 2020
- 5 Min Read
Are you planning to build an app for your business but not sure whether to choose Android or iOS platform? There are varied parameters based on which a choice can be appropriate. The timeline of the project, audience, budget for app maintenance, features of the app, and the business objectives are a few things to keep in mind. The first decision of whether to build an app for Android or iOS can be tricky. Even though your ultimate goal is to develop apps for both platforms, you should put the risk of developing both apps at bay at the same time. No wonder, a majority of companies develop apps for one platform initially before switching to another.
Getting with the Basics
You are already aware that Android has been a leader in the mobile operating platforms and occupies substantial market share. While going through the statistics, you may not be able to skip that the market share of Android rose over seventy-four percent in 2019 while iOS could only capture about 23% of the market share. However, that you need to make a decision hurriedly whether iOS or Android is a better for business app development. While Android is better is specific locations, iOS has been performing consistently well in several other locations.
Things to Know About iOS
The iOS platform comes from Apple with a limited ecosystem. Here is what the mobile app developers need to know.
- A less flexible and restricted ecosystem implies that Apple will regulate the usage on their platform.
- The content is not applicable for all devices and only those they support.
- The benefit of developing app on iOS platform is greater amount of regulation and stability.
- The developer can face more limitations when developing app for iOS as they can only use Apple’s features.
- From the standpoint of users, buying a device that operates on a restricted ecosystem demonstrates that it will fetch more price.
The Apple devices are usually more expensive than Android devices.
Things to Know About Android
Android, on the other hand is an open ecosystem, which allows users to access various functionalities and modifications, although it is less secure than the closed ecosystem.
- The updates on Android platform can become more restricted from the end of mobile networks due to the open system.
- From the perspective of a mobile app developer, developing apps on Android implies more innovation.
- The source code of Android is available for free, so you get the freedom to port it to the hardware of your app.
- During the development of apps on Android, you can jump several steps for app development as there are no restrictions.
There are several differences that grab the attention of the audience using iOS or Android. For instance, the Android devices for huge market share, although Apple intimidates the app store.
- Android is more prevalent in the markets of Latin America. Africa, and Asia.
- The users of Android platform can work in technical work.
- Research suggests that more men prefer using Android than iOS.
- The users of iPhone are financially more stable and know to earn about forty percent more than the average Android users.
- The users of iOS are younger and women use more iPhones than Android.
- The users of Apple are into managerial and professional jobs and iOS is more prevalent in the business market thanks to the security it offers.
- You will find more users of North America, Australia, and Western Europe.
- The use mobile devices for shopping.
iOS App Development is Cost-effective and Faster
According to estimates, development of apps for Android takes place quicker and it is cost-effective. Experts put Android app development at about 30-40% longer. One of the reasons why development of iOS apps is easy due to the code. The apps of Android apps are Java-based, which requires the developers to write more code than Swift, which is the official programming language of Apple.
Android is an open-source platform, which reduces the standardization and more devices while iOS comes with a restricted ecosystem, which implies few devices. Quite naturally, iOS comes with greater quality control due to stricter rules and the apps need to go through a thorough reviews process. If the iOS app fails to maintain the required standard expected from it, it can face rejection.
Android Apps are More Flexible
When it comes to designing business apps, what features would you like to include in it? Android is open-source, which makes it easier for developers to design customized features that can address the demands of your clients. However, the open environment of Android exposes it to security lapse, such as malware and pirate apps. Apple is a more secured platform, which makes it largely acceptable among the audience in the business market.
Updating the Operating System
The development of apps from Android implies that you need to spend more time on it to ensure that the app resonates with the platforms and avoid crashes in the older version of the operating system. Studies reveal that Android users are less likely to embrace new operating systems. On the other hand, Apple users can update the OS faster than the Android users. Most of the Apple users run their devices on the present version and have at least two of the latest operating systems present on their devices. Therefore, development and programming for iOS apps is easier.
Using Android or iOS for Making Purchases
When it comes to using apps for making purchases, there are a few differences to know.
- The Android users are less likely to pay for apps than the users of Android, so you will come across more free apps and apps.
- Research reveals that the income of the Apple Store is twice more than the revenue of GooglePlay, although downloads amount to half.
- The users of IOS apps tend to make more purchases and eventually sped more.
- The shopping applications are known to enhance more revenue, and North America is a leader in sales.
- The Asian users spend about forty percent more for in-app purchases, and China is responsible for generating the highest revenue.
If you are eager to make money through the apps without any advertisement, whether through in-app purchases and subscriptions, iOS apps are useful.
Choosing the Best
The place where your audience resides, the features of apps, the timeline for development ad budget are a few factors to consider when building apps for iOS or Android. For the creation of a feasible product within your budget, the iOS apps may be your best bet. Furthermore, if you are eager to build an e-commerce store or want to monetize the app, iOS is a better option to choose. On the other hand, if you are keen to address the upcoming markets of Latin America or Asia, and the apps you want to develop comes with features that re absent in Apple, Android should be your choice.
Which platform is suitable for your business goals? iOS or Android? While viewing the platform that suits your business goals better, you need to choose the platform that allows you to earn revenue directly through the users. iOS does not enjoy a similar popularity like Android, and it is one of the leading platforms in a few countries. Eventually, whether to create an app for Android or iOS depends largely on the target audience and their geographical locations.
Blessed with a sound expertise in Web & Mobile technologies, Mark nurtures a great passion for writing. As a tech-geek, he possesses in-depth knowledge of programming, architecture & cloud-infrastructures and loves writing on diversified topics including Internet-Of-Things, Artificial Intelligence, Progressive Web App, Smart TV & Wearable & more.
As markets are evolving more into digital forms, online shopping is becoming more prevalent in th...
The development of mobile apps for users can help people gain crea...
With the popularity of iOS and Android operating systems, businesses are often unaware and are in...
- Top 5 Tips To Select The Best eCommerce Website Development Company
- Everything You Need To Know About Mobile App Development
- Why React Native is the Future of Hybrid App Development?
- How to Choose the Best eCommerce Development Company?
- What Is the Future of Cross-platform App Development?
- How to Make Your Website Ready For The Holiday Season?
- Mobile App UX/UI Design: Everything You Need to Know
- Shopify VS Shopify Plus: What is a Best Fit for You
- Android Vs iOS: Which Platform To Build Your App For First?
- CakePHP Vs Laravel Vs Codeigniter
- Shopify Vs Magento: - Which One Is Best For You?
- Approaches To Know About Progressive Web App Development
- How to Improve Android App Development and Make It Flawless
- Understanding the Differences between React Native and Native App Development
- The Crucial Trends of Android App Development to Follow In 2020
- Reasons to Focus on Android App Development
- When Do You Build a Progressive Web App for Your Business
- Why Businesses Should Focus On Android App Development for Business Growth
- Know the Differences between Progressive Web App Development and Native Apps
- Factors to Consider Before Hiring Mobile App Development Company
You might also like
Android app development company,  App Development,  cross-platform mobile app development
Mobile App UX/UI Design,  UX and UI Design,  UX/UI design
Write to us or pick up the phone, either way we are here to give you a hand.